Apr 24, 2019

Introducing the New Beadshop Design Team Member, Faye Luxemburg-Hyam

When I first joined the group and began sharing my pieces I noticed a very kind and thoughtful member responded to all my posts with great enthusiasm. That member was Faye, and to this day, over a year later, she continues to comment, inspire, and motivate. Along with a positive attitude, Faye brings passionate talent to our design team. She thrives on experimentation and loves creating “something from nothing.”
To see more of her fabulous designs, be sure to visit her website:  http://silversagedesigns.ca/
-Alley


Give us a little background on why you chose to venture down the jewelry-making path.
“When I was a very young child, my mother and aunt used to give me their broken or unwanted jewelry to play with. Little did they know at the time, but their influence created a life-long passion for the interplay of colour, texture, and design.

I started collecting beads when I was a pre-teen. Never the demure type, I liked big, bold, textured, and colourful beads and of course the sixties created a veritable circus of sensory madness that I took full advantage of. Mostly self-taught, I experimented with beads of all kinds as well as found objects and flea market finds. To mimic beads that I saw in magazines, mostly from other cultures, I learned to make my own from clay, wood, paper, and paint!

I have studied other bead artists and their techniques and, as a lifelong learner, my jewelry creations are always evolving. I have also had the privilege of travelling the world and with each trip, I was drawn to the beads and ornamentation that expressed the culture of the people with whom we came into contact. I love to celebrate diversity in the jewelry I make and to touch the lives of the people who enjoy wearing it.

After a lifetime of working in Social Services, with jewelry making as my meditation, I am in the process of expanding what was a small on-the-side business that mostly marketed to my circles of friends and colleagues to an online shop that will reach out to a broader international market."

Did you ever have an “ah-ha” moment during your jewelry making journey?
“There have been many…they usually come when I figure something out that was so very puzzling to me, like how can I finish my wrap bracelet with a loop--and my friend Alley Mori provides the fix! Or when I discovered how incredible the Xuron crimping tool is to press in the little bit of wire that sticks out after I wrap a wire, or that I can use two colours to do a macramé piece that are either complementary or totally off the wall weird together; or making a tree of life that is not contained but truly wild. I love throwing out SOME of the rules to get AH-HA moments but sometimes they turn into HA-HA moments. It’s all good, it’s all practice and fun.”

What are some fun facts that our web audience would love to know about you?  
“I have lived in four countries including Canada, Southeast Asia, Israel, and Grand Cayman Island. I write poetry in a journal daily as a way to keep my mind sharp and to exercise my writing skills. My Husband calls me Mrs. Burg.”

What is your favorite piece and what made it special?
“Fluorite Fantasy – I adore making these five row cuffs and this particular one was made for one of my best friends. Two of the qualities found in Fluorite, which is the stone primarily used in this piece, are that it increases positivity and helps to balance both physical and emotional energy. While making this piece and after it was finished, I had a true sense of excitement and serenity happening within me at the same time. I knew my friend would love it and felt our connection as I was making it for her.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flash Sale Friday...get creative!

Last week Kate went shopping for some special strands at a local gem show, and she brought back six stone strands she couldn't live with...