Aug 18, 2017

Connections 8.18.17

Hey everybody! I can’t wait to share these amazing customer submissions we’ve gotten over the past two weeks…I took a short Connections hiatus last week so I could bring you the Tiara Challenge, but I am back this week and ready to show! Let’s start off with a bang…


From Mountain View, CA, Kathi G. sent us this absolutely amazing Memory Wire bracelet that she created for a friend. A self-proclaimed “bead collector,” Kathi had an amazing selection to choose from in her stash to create this piece, inspired by the colors of the state of California:


“On one end, it begins with the greens of the Giant Redwood Groves and marijuana farms in the northern part of the state, then moves into the Wine Country hills and grape vines with scattered Cabernet and Chardonnay colors.  Next are the greens and whites of the snowy Sierra Nevada Mountains (but no neon bright ski jackets).  Moving westward across the San Francisco Bay, there is a glimpse of the rusty orange of the Golden Gate Bridge.  Then traveling south, there are sandy beaches, the aqua Pacific, and the blue sky.  The southern part of the state starts with endless gray highways, bright sun, golden hills and ubiquitous bougainvillea.  Lastly, there are the desert tans, sage greens and occasional bright poppies and surprise wildflowers of the Joshua Tree National Park.”

Isn’t that just incredible? This bracelet uses so many different beads, from 6/0s and 8/0s (in colors like Matte Terracotta, Picasso Seafoam Green, and Matte Transparent Gray AB) to one of nearly every single round from Dakota Stones that we carry…its a great mix that works together so beautifully. This is a great project to use up odds and ends in your stash!






Jeannie L. from Schenectady, NY sends us her really cool takes on Spiral Rope. She’s incorporated bugle beads into her spiral and they give these necklaces a really interesting look. This is a great idea to try once you've mastered the basics (which Emily will help you do here!)














“I have been stitching seed beads for quite some time. My spirals here have size 8s in the middle, bugles, 11s on outside and the pink one has an additional 3mm Czech glass beads. I have learned so much from watching and trying new projects. Thank you!”




No, Jeannie, thank you! It’s great to know that even seasoned seed beaders are picking up new tips and tricks from Emily, and of course we love to see what’s being made! Pardon the pun, but this new twist on the Spiral Rope is just brilliant.



Donna H. of Tallassee, AL sent in another piece, if you remember in our first post we shared her Mini Off the Cuff and a Macrame wrap bracelet made with hemp. This week she shares her own Pathways Cuff in a stunning Topaz Vitrail Matte Superduo and Champagne S/L Matte 8/0s. With an Abalone button to finish the look, it’s a stunner. 

We don't carry the same colors, I am sorry to say! But this abalone-inspired piece made me want to create my own version of a shell-colored Pathways Cuff. Here's what we suggest:












Finally, I want to share some pieces that just came across my inbox just this morning. Marian S. sent us some photos of her work, all the way from the Phillipines! 

She's created a bright Born Yesterday with Turquoise and a Tree of Life Button, using her own pendant instead of a Pi Disc. I think Blue Calico 8mm would be a good substitute for the Turquoise, and since so many colors complement blue you could really choose any Pi Disc for a pendant.


 Marian also created aBeaded Berry Chain bracelet and earrings set. How cute are these? Her blue-green color palette is fresh and summery and would complement a variety of outfits.


“I have been watching your videos for quite some time now.  I'm a long time beader/crafter since I retired in 2006.  But since I started watching your videos, I have learned so much and have been inspired to try my hand in the various projects your group has been sharing.  I always look forward to your shows every week.  I live in the Philippines so if I try to watch your shows live, I'll have to wake up really early.”

Lastly, a really pretty Tricks to Looming using 3mm Miyuki Cubes in a pattern: Try it yourself in Mate Metallic Khaki Iris and Black


Thanks for waking up early to join us, Marian! It's so cool to see submissions come in from far away locales.










That’s it for this week!  We’d love for you to share your work with us! Email photos to me at info@beadshop.com with “Connections” in the subject line…I can’t wait to see what you’ve been working on!

Happy beading!
-Drea






No comments:

Post a Comment

Flash Sale Friday...get creative!

Last week Kate went shopping for some special strands at a local gem show, and she brought back six stone strands she couldn't live with...